Welcome to the new academic year!
Whether you’re a freshman stepping into the vibrant college life or a returning student, safety should always be your top priority. ✅
Get ready to arm yourself with bussin’ safety tips to navigate through this year like a superstar! 💪✨
Safety Measures 101 ✅
- Always stay aware of your surroundings: Always be conscious of your environment, especially when walking alone or at night. Use well-lit paths and avoid distractions like using your phone while walking.
- Use the “Buddy System”: There’s safety in numbers. Whenever possible, travel with friends, especially during late hours.
- Utilize campus resources: Familiarize yourself with your campus’s safety resources, such as emergency call boxes, safety apps, and campus escort services.
#DrinkSmartTIPS 101 ✅
- Have a plan: Before heading out for a night of fun, map out a plan: choose a designated driver, set a meeting point in case you get separated, and agree on a time to head home. If you don’t have a DD, ask your friend or family to pick you up, book an Uber, or use public transportation, etc.
- Know your limit and don’t be afraid to say “NO”: Understand how alcohol affects you and know your limits. Everyone’s tolerance is different. The choice is always yours, don’t let peer pressure make you drink more than your limit.
- Stay hydrated: Drink water between alcoholic beverages to stay hydrated and help reduce hangovers.
- Always keep your drink with you: To avoid the risk of someone tampering with your drink, always keep it with you. Refuse any drinks from strangers, even “water”.
Want to learn more? Click the button below.
Responsible Gambling 101 ✅
- Set a budget: Set a budget before you gamble, consistently monitor your spending including your losses, limit the number of gambling promotions you use and the number of accounts you open, and never borrow money to bet.
- Gambling is not a source of income: Treat gambling as a form of entertainment, not a way to make money. If you’re struggling with finance, reach out to financial advisors at school or explore budgeting tools instead.
- Know when to stop: If you find yourself spending more time and money than intended, it may be time to take a step back. Random outcomes don’t ‘owe us’ a win. Just because something hasn’t happened in a while doesn’t mean it’s due to happen.
Facts provided by the Responsible Gambling Council (RGC). Don’t forget to check out their website for more resources.
Mental Health and Wellbeing 101 ✅
- Seek support: College can be overwhelming. Don’t hesitate to reach out to campus counselling services if you’re feeling stressed or anxious. It’s okay to have those feelings, you’re not alone.
- Balance is key: Remember to balance your academic, social, and personal life. Taking time for self-care is crucial. Start today, it’s never too early to take care of yourself.
As you embark on this exciting journey of college life, remember that staying safe doesn’t mean dialling down the fun. It’s all about making smart choices and looking out for each other. 🤜🤛
Get ready to make some awesome memories and take care of yourself too. Got some cool stories, don’t forget to share with us! 😊✨