Policy on privacy of personal information.
Smart Serve Ontario d.b.a (“DrinkSmart”) is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information obtained by reason of your relationship with DrinkSmart. This policy explains the types of personal information we collect, how it is used, and the steps we take to ensure your personal information is handled appropriately.
Our policies and practices have been designed to comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Canada) and corresponding provincial privacy acts.
What this policy covers.
What is personal information?
Personal information is information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual. Personal information includes such things as name, age, income, date of birth, ethnic origin and credit records. Personal information that may be collected, used or disclosed by DrinkSmart includes, but is not limited to: photographs, name, address, e-mail, phone number and other contact information. You may, however, visit and browse our website anonymously.
We let you know why we collect and use your personal information and get your consent.
DrinkSmart identifies the purpose for which your personal information is collected and will be used or disclosed. If that purpose is not listed below, we will do this before or at the time the information is actually being collected. You will be deemed to consent to our use of your personal information for the purpose of:
- communicating with you generally
- providing products or services requested by you, such as our DrinkSmart Tips emails
- recommending products and services that DrinkSmart believes will be of interest and provide value to you
- administering contests, promotions, surveys or other similar promotional activities
- complying with legal and governmental requirements
- to process your registration for an event or activity which we are organizing
- demonstrating your participation in our marketing or promotional events through photographs on our website
- performing statistical analyses of user behaviour and characteristics, in order to measure interest in and use of the various sections of the website so as to improve design and navigation and to gather marketing information. Only aggregated data from these analyses, not individual data, will be used for this purpose.
- fulfilling any other purpose that would be reasonably apparent to the average person at the time we collect it from you
Otherwise, DrinkSmart will obtain your consent (by verbal, written or electronic means) to collect, use or disclose your personal information. You can change your consent preferences at any time or withdraw your permission to collect, use and disclose your personal information (subject to legal and contractual restrictions and reasonable notice) by contacting us using the information in the “How to contact us” section below.
We limit collection of your personal information.
DrinkSmart collects only the information required to promote and provide its products and services. DrinkSmart will collect personal information only by clear, fair and lawful means. We receive and store information you provide to us by contacting us or requesting information from us, or give to us in any other way, such as information provided to us in person at our marketing and promotional events. You can choose not to provide certain information to us, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our features.
We may also receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many websites, we use “cookies,” and we obtain certain types of information when your web browser accesses https://drinksmart.ca/. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your web browser, to enable our systems to recognize your browser. The “help” portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Additionally, you can disable or delete similar data used by browser add-ons, such as Flash cookies by changing the add-on’s settings or visiting the website of its manufacturer.
We limit disclosure and retention of your personal information.
DrinkSmart does not disclose personal information to any organization or person for any reason except the following:
- we employ other trusted companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples may include operating our website, sending e-mails, providing marketing assistance, assisting at events, and providing customer services. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions provided that they may not use it for other purposes. We may use service providers located outside of Canada, and, if applicable, your personal information may be processed and stored in other countries and therefore may be subject to disclosure under the laws of those countries.
- In the unlikely event that Smart Serve Ontario or substantially all of its assets are acquired or donated to another charitable organization, customer information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
- we may disclose personal information if obligated to do so by federal and provincial laws.
You are deemed to consent to disclosure of your personal information for those purposes. If your personal information is shared with third parties, those third parties are bound by appropriate agreements with DrinkSmart to secure and protect the confidentiality of your personal information.
DrinkSmart retains your personal information only as long as it is required for our relationship or as required by federal and provincial laws.
Accuracy of personal information.
DrinkSmart will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information up to date, accurate and relevant for its intended use. If you believe that your personal information in our possession is not correct, you may seek correction of that information and can contact us to make the necessary changes.
Security of personal information.
DrinkSmart takes reasonable measures to ensure the integrity of your personal information is maintained, is protected against theft, loss, destruction and unauthorized access.
What about Third-Party Advertisers and Links to Other Websites?
The DrinkSmart website may include third-party advertising and links to other websites. We do not provide any personally identifiable customer information to these advertisers or third-party websites.
We are committed to providing you with understandable and easily available information about our policy and practices related to management of your personal information. This policy and any related information is available at all times on our website or on request. To contact us, refer to the “How to contact us” section below.
You can request access to your personal information stored by DrinkSmart and submit questions or concerns about the privacy of your personal information. Upon receiving such a request, DrinkSmart will:
- inform you about what type of personal information we have on record or in our control, how it is used and to whom it may have been disclosed.
- provide you with access to your information so you can review and verify the accuracy and completeness and request changes to the information.
- make any necessary updates to your personal information.
How to contact us.
This policy was last modified on July 13, 2020.
5090 Explorer Drive, Suite 800