The Game Plan
- know your drink count
- plan your ride
- designated driver
- Grab a pizza to share with your roommates before and while you drink. It will help you from feeling sick later on because the alcohol you consume will be absorbed slower than had you not eaten.
Party with Friends
- Find your buddies and stick with them. It makes for a better time anyways!
Pour Your Drink / Avoid Top-ups
- Unfamiliar names = unfamiliar quantities. Stay in control by pouring your own drinks.
- If it tastes good, sip it. If it doesn’t, why are you even drinking it? Enjoy your drink one sip at a time and give your body time to digest the alcohol.
- Party like a champ and rehydrate between drinks. It will be worth it later.
- Keeping score leads to a winning morning the next day!
Crossing The Line
POURING A STANDARD DRINK
Note: Each drink is unique and can have different levels of alcohol.
Beer, Cider, Cooler
5% alcohol: 341 ml, 12 oz
12% alcohol: 142 ml, 5 oz
40% alcohol: 43 ml, 1.5 oz
Comparing Alcohol With Your Favourite Food
WILL YOU TAKE A SIP OR EAT A BITE TONIGHT?
COMPARING THE CALORIES
2 Beers = 6” Subway meatball marinara sub
4 Captain Morgan shots = 1.5 slices of pepperoni pizza
4 Beers = 3 Taco Bell beef tacos
2 glasses of Champagne = 100g of chocolate cake
6 Beers = 22+ Oreo cookies
4 Vodka cranberries = 18 california rolls
8 Budlight Cans = 3 cheeseburgers
4 Pina Coladas = 6+ bars of Hershey’s milk chocolate
It takes approximately 90 minutes to absorb one drink
Approximately the same amount of time as a soccer game.
About 7.5x the length of The First spacewalk.
Reconsider Your Ride
Small amounts of alcohol can impair your ability to drive. If you are under the age of 21, you are required to have a blood-alcohol level of 0.
Driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.08 is a criminal offence.
Binge Drinking = 5+ drinks in a short period of time
Alcohol can be addictive. About 1 in 20 individuals who drink are dependent on alcohol. 20% – 25% of students reported binge drinking in the past month.
Look out for your friends. Binge drinking usually takes place in social settings.
The Recovery Position is essential to have in your back pocket. If you see someone pass out from drinking, you can prevent this person from choking if they vomit by positioning them in the recovery position.
RECOVERY POSITION STEPS
- Raise the person’s closest arm above their head.
- Prepare to roll them towards you.
- Gently roll as a unit. Guide their head as you roll them.
- Tuck nearest hand under the cheek to help maintain head tilt.
- Tilt their head to maintain airway.
- Check on them often.
If you are worried that someone may be in danger, get medical attention immediately. The person may have combined alcohol with drugs or they may have a medical condition you are not aware of.
The Morning After
THERE IS NO CURE FOR HANGOVERS
The reality is, there is no way to get around a hangover aside from not drinking too much in the first place.
Supplement your hangover recovery with these: HANGOVER HACKS
Regardless of above, here are some tips to try:
- don’t have another drink! Doctors advise that you wait 48 hours before any more alcohol in order to give your body tissues time to recover. After those 48 hours it’s time to revisit the top of this page.
- rehydrate your body. You really should have done it before going to sleep but drinking water when you wake is better than never.
- address electrolytes. Try sports drinks or coconut water to rebuild your electrolytes.
- a thin vegetable-based broth is a good source for vitamins and minerals that are easy for your stomach to digest. Replace lacking fluids by consuming mild fluids for ease on the digestive system. If you chose a greasy breakfast you can expect heartburn.
- take painkillers to help with a headache or muscle cramps.
- sugary foods may help your trembling but an antacid may be needed to settle your stomach first
- give it time, get some sleep or ease back into your routine.
- don’t believe everything you see. Everyone has suggestions, some may work and some may flop, but remember, the consistent cure for hangovers is time.